Tuesday, March 6, 2012

morning workouts are back

I promised Alyssa a real picture of my new car, but failed. I could take one right now, but it's freezing outside and I'm a wuss.

I'm excited to report that the morning workouts are back! Recently, Alyssa had a revelation that if you don't gorge yourself on desserts at night, it's easier to wake up and workout in the morning. I've taken it seriously and it seems to be working. My legs are far from normal in the morning, but I don't feel like death warmed over when the alarm goes off, either.



Both yesterday and this morning, I banged out a little over seven miles before work. I'm pretty sure early morning workouts will always be treadmill workouts for two important reasons:
  1. I'm always fairly dehydrated in the morning and there's no way I'm going to carry water when I'm already half asleep anyway.
  2. I'm half asleep for at least 3/4 of the run
With the time change coming, though, I'm psyched to actually get real runs in after work.
 

I'm actually really surprised I managed to wake up for this morning's workout after I worked a 13 hour day yesterday. That's a far from normal day for me and it was my choice to schedule things, but yikes was I tired afterwards.

Tonight I get a reward, though. Kisses from Katie, the charity I raised money for last year is hosting a pancake dinner fundraiser tonight. My friend and I are booking it to the restaurant after work to gorge ourselves on the best pancakes in CT.


Do you see a correlation between what you ate the night before and how easy it is to get moving in the morning?

Pancakes: yay or nay? I could not convince Mike to come to the dinner tonight. Something is wrong with that man.

21 comments:

  1. Pancakes are a huge YAY!

    I don't eat dessert all that often and when I do, it's usually like two thin mints or something, and I still can't wake up in the morning. I fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you write this post before or after my text? Now I really feel like a failure. Good job though. I seriously don't know how nurses and doctors do those 13 hour shifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really noticed how WHAT I eat the night before makes a different in the morning workout, but if I eat later I tend to have more energy. Tim hates breakfast for dinner and most breakfast foods, so I couldn't drag him to an event like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luke's the same way. I am obsessed with pancakes and Luke never wants me to make them. I'll just come to your dinner with you tonight, Kari.

      Delete
  4. Oh good, that picture of you hugging your treadmill again. I had almost forgot what it looked like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i didn't even read the post because I saw that picture and figured, same picture, same post.

      Delete
    2. at least you read the comments :)

      Delete
  5. I'm a fan of breakfast. I will eat it at any time of the day. I don't know if I see a correlation between dinner + next morning running. If I eat dinner late at night, I won't be hungry before a long run in the morning. I DO have a better run in the morning if I didn't have 2+ drinks the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy do I ever seen the correlation. I to am dealing with that right now. I've had two good days so far. I just need to keep it going. No bad food at night, it kills my runs. Congrats on getting back to the morning workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pancakes are for sure a yay! I adore them!! Have fun tonight! I don't see a lot of correlation between what I eat at night and how my run goes in the morning, but I just might not be paying enough attention!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job getting up in the mornings to run. That is one thing I am just AWFUL at. I am trying to get better though. I love pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pancakes!!! And morning running is my goal almost every day. Can't remember the last time it happened. You rock,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for pancakes. I hope they raise lots of money.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally see a difference in how I feel on my a.m. runs depending on what I ate the night before. I am super careful on Fri. nights, no wine, no dessert, etc. b/c I have my long runs the next morning. And now see? You can eat pancakes tonight b/c you did the work this morning! It's a win.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pancakes and waffles are my staple food!

    I still can't get up in the morning. I need to have a total mental transformation! The way you're clutching that treadmill is the way I clutch my pillow at 5am!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely see a correlation - junk the day before = feeling crappy during a run. Except during an adventure race, when I spend the day eating bars, fruit snacks, pb crackers, cupcakes, pretzels, chips, candy, etc... That doesn't seem to make me feel crappy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Early morning workouts are great! Glad to hear you figured out the trick that works best for you! I can definitely tell if I ate too much (or the wrong stuff) the night before once I get going on my workout. Keep it up!

    Pancakes? ALWAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nay on pancackes for me. They're too mushy. Plus I had a bad experience where I ate pancakes then didn't feel well later in the day and ended up missing out on the New Year's ball drop in Times Square. I don't think it was the pancakes, but the association is still stuck in my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.