Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bungee has gotten herself into shape

Something funny popped up on my calendar yesterday:


Whoops! Apparently, the Cape Cod Ragnar is only three weeks away and I've managed to completely forget about it. I googled the course map and elevation chart and I'm not really worried.


I'm not running an ultra, so the legs aren't terribly long and the elevation looks comparable to my neighborhood runs. I've even been doing two-a-days a lot lately with Bungee on trails. It's like my subconscious knew it should be training even if the rest of me is an idiot.

UPDATE: Looks like I did all of that non-training for nothing. I got an email this morning saying that our team organizer couldn't put the team together (it was being put together through our running store), so I have another free weekend, now!

Yesterday, I woke up to cooler temperatures, but more crazy humidity, so I kept putting off my run. Finally, at 4, I decided to brave it. Luckily, the humidity dropped and the temperature stayed around 50. My run felt freaking amazing. I blazed through the run and ignored my low-batteried beeping Garmin until I got home 7 miles later. I figured I'd pick up Bungee and do a cool down run with her.

It seems Miss Bungee has gotten herself into shape, though. Instead of running her usual 11-12 minute miles on the road, she was cruising between 8 and 9 min/mile. It wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but I'm excited that she was running for real. She can do over 5 miles on trails, I wonder if it'll translate to the road. We'll see.

Have you run a Ragnar? Advice?

Do you ever forget you've registered for races?

22 comments:

  1. I know nothing about Ragnar, although I've been told doing a few two-a-days and even three-a-days is the key to happiness. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck at the Cape Cod Ragner! I've never done a relay. I'm against anything that cuts into my sleep time ;) So I have no advice to offer.

    Our running club organizes all race forms on their website so it's very easy early in the year to print them all out and mail them in.....so two months later I forget I have a 5K this weekend. Luckily for me it's only a 5K and not a two day 186 mile race. Have a great time!! Wish my dog could run as fast as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never done a Ragnar but hope to someday. Looks like a fun one.

    Yay for Bungee, better watch out it he gets in even better shape he might be pulling you along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to go bungee!!

    I haven't done any relays, but i have my eye on the MA reach the beach one day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad the team can't happen! That stinks! I am doing a Relay here in Columbus in June and we're having some issues.....team altogether but not 100% sure people are training. I sure am hoping it is fun anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was on a team for Ragnar Colorado but they changed the dates (after we registered) so we ended up cancelling. I would still like to do one someday though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad to see all that non-training go to waste. such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you're asking for advice for a race that you're not running? Interesting.

    Also, if Bungee is slow...you bitch about it. Now if she's the right pace...you bitch about it. Just wanted to clarify that the bitching is the constant here.

    I have never forgotten that I've signed up for a race. My mind is a steel trap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I am so confused, you forgot you were running the race, then the race was canceled? You are super organized, how can this be? And it's canceled just like that? I already paid my entry fee for Ragnar Miami in January! Did you lose money? I forgot tons of shit but never races. I'd appreciate it if you try not to forget Hartford. I can text you daily reminders if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So is there not time now to put a team together? I mean dude, you could do that. How hard is it? And how many people do you need for a team? You're hot. Go recruit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks exciting and what good New England gal doesn't love the Cape!

    Bungee should be able to get into 7 minute miles with a doggy backpack ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet you could convince your company to sponsor your (soon to be put together because ppl want free compression shorts) team :) do it do it do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. have fun! its a lot of fun, i i promise, even when you've been up for 24 hours bc you cant sleep in the van, its still fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe you knew it wasn't going to happen anyway and that's why you forgot. I think I sometimes try to make myself forget I've signed up for races but there's usually something nagging in the background reminding me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I forget ALL THE TIME! I forgot that I signed up for NY and the drawing is tomorrow. People keep asking me if I'm excited? And I always so "for what?" It's my dream race but I'm psychotic and pretend like I'll never get in so I don't get disappointed. Anyway, ragnars are awesome! I've run one here for the past two years and loved it but I know everyone on the team. I'm the only girl so it makes for interesting times. Thank heavens I'm gross hahahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What kind of running store is this? They should be able to find a sub or two to complete the team. A few people from my running group just did SoCal Ragnar last weekend, one of them joined with a week's notice when someone else backed out. I think it would be pretty sweet to run along the Cape! I went there a few times growing up. I don't forget races. I'm rarely registered for more than 1 at a time so they're a big deal. I bet Bungee's pads prefer the dirt surface to paved surfaces.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhh, dang. Ragnar is so much fun! You'll have to find another one to sign up for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like many other commenters, I'm confused about the store's inability to put together a team...especially since I mentioned several times that I wanted to run and then never heard a word about it. Huh??

    ReplyDelete
  19. Go Bungee! Bummer on your Ragnar being cancelled. I forget a ton of things but so far not a race. So far...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.