Wednesday, April 18, 2012

RUNch

Working at an office job, I always used to fantasize about how awesome it would be to run at lunch. I went for a few 2 milers with the dog, but I wanted a real run, like one where you don't have to go out again after work to finish your mileage for the day.

Yesterday, the stars all seemed to align for me to get out there and run:

1. I fueled properly. I had a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee at 7 and then an apple and a slice of banana bread (yep, Alyssa, I finally made some) at around 9:45am. Normally, I wouldn't eat that much that early in the morning, but I didn't want to feel "lunch hungry" while I was running.

It worked perfectly. I wasn't hungry on my run AND I didn't feel like I was going to vomit in someone's bushes, either.


2. I was actually motivated. Figuring out when to run now is tricky. I want to have my run done by the time Mike gets home from work. Then, I can either take Bungee to the trails to fit in a few more miles, or I can get a head start on making dinner (awww, such a good homemaker). However, without a set schedule, I'm kind of a disaster.

I've been running a few times a week before work. Other times, I'll work straight through lunch and run at around 4. However, today, I actually wanted to run at lunch (it could have been the fact that I was in running clothes all morning and felt sporty).


3. My conference call ended right before noon. I was worried that wouldn't end up actually having from 12-1 free, but my call ended on time and things wrapped up nicely for me to get outside.



There were a couple major setbacks to the whole situation.



1. The weather.  77 degrees really isn't bad; however, considering it's been in the 40s around here recently, this was a little rough. Also, noon in warm weather, isn't fun.


2. My chosen route. I decided to run a loop that was essentially all hills and barely shaded. I contemplated crossing the street to hit the shady spots, but then realize that was way too much effort and I needed all of my energy to actually make it home without walking.


3. I am an idiot. Most people would check the weather and reconsider going out at that time. Other people would check the weather and reconsider their route. What did I do? I took it as a challenge and then came home and drank gallons of water.


I did it, though.


What's the dumbest runner thing you've ever done?

17 comments:

  1. Dumbest? By far, the desert half marathon. It was 80* at the start. I decided to "race" anyways. It was a 2 loop course, with only ONE aid station. I ran loop one, passed the finish line...and decided to run loop two. I am an idiot. Heat stroke, what? I barely finished. I was staggering, shaking, not sweating by the time I finished. I really should have stopped.

    Also, setting a schedule when you work from home is so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One time I ran a 50K in July. That was a smart decision. Not hot at all.

    You think a bowl of cereal and piece of banana bread is eating a lot? Oh honey. I could teach you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rarely hungry in the morning, so that's eating a lot for me. Afternoons are a bonanza.

      Delete
    2. I'm with Kara. I eat that and then some in the morning and I still want lunch at 11.

      Delete
    3. That was a pretty dumb decision, but I think I've since beat that.

      Delete
  3. It's good to get your tolerance up now, because 77 is the temp it's going to be in the morning in just a month or three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dumbest thing was to run the sweltering Chi 2007 marathon. I should have skipped it and run one in Michigan the following week. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Setting my own work schedule means never having to run at lunch! I either run in the morning and start work later or start work early and then run around 5:30. Never at noon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once did a 24-hour race in 90 degrees and 100 percent humidity (I think it got down to about 85 overnight). Drank 600+ ounces of liquid and I think I peed once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I want banana bread even more. Probably my dumbest thing to date was signing up for a 50 mile race, but it's about to get even dumber at GORUCK this weekend. Whenever I don't work out first thing in the morning (like on the weekends) I have fueling problems too. On my brick last sat, I started at lunch time and ended after dinner time, so I didn't really get to eat either of those meals. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes run at lunch or whenever I can fit it in my schedule. Running in the dead of summer in the middle of the day ranks up there as some of the dumbest things I've tried. Most of the others involve running after eating tacos or something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i totally would have taken it as a challenge too :) that's why we're runners after all..a little bit nutz

    ReplyDelete
  10. 77 this time of year is the new 90. It's a pretty number to look at but not fun to run in in full sun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dumbest thing I've done is run something like 7 miles without socks. And these weren't in minimalist shoes that are designed to be worn without socks, but conventional running shoes. I was in NYC for a business trip and forgot to pack socks, but I really wanted to run in Central Park. After the run the back of my ankles were torn up and bleeding and I had to buy a box of bandaids. I should have just bought some cheap socks instead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dumbest thing I've done - eating a very high fiber meal just before a run. ENough said.

    I hate running in heat - hate it! 40's is my ideal running temperature.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.