Tuesday, April 17, 2012

take the crazy path

I know I'm not the only one who was insanely annoyed by the Boston Marathon announcers yesterday. I think it might just be sports announcers in general, but these guys clearly had no idea what they were talking about.

It didn't bother me that they kept saying that 5 and 6 minute miles were slow, because that pace is slow for the elites. However, the weirdly sexist and racist comments were a bit much. I thought about muting the commentary, but, instead decided to take a page out of Mike's book and take the crazy path: I just started arguing with them. It didn't seem to bother Bungee the way it does when Mike's yelling at basketball games.


After tuning into the race, I got back to work for a few hours. I did my run in the morning, but after watching the race, I felt energized again and wanted to run more. I planned to take Bungee running, but when the temperatures skyrocketed, I didn't think she'd appreciate a run in the sun.

Instead, I took her for a long walk and then opted for the coolest running route: the basement. Buffy was calling my name and a little butt-kicking really helped my speed! I did three more miles, for a total of a little over 10 miles for the day. The walk and runs tuckered both Bungee and I out.

You'd never know Bungee was 3 with that ridiculous beard.
While I waited for Mike to get back from his run, I did some googling to find something delicious for dinner. I found this vegetarian mexican pizza and knew we had a winner. I made my own crust, but otherwise, followed the recipe.


It was amazing and ridiculously filling. I just wish there were leftovers for Mike's lunch.


Did you watch the marathon? What'd you think of the commentary?

Are you ready for summer running temps?

19 comments:

  1. I didn't watch the marathon, but I followed it on the Twitter.

    The longer you work from home, the more you're going to become like me. Mwahahahaha

    I'm too fat to run outside in this heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So long as that doesn't mean I have to get prego.

      Delete
  2. I'm not ready for summer running temps. It means I won't be able to wear the same clothes every day because I might actually sweat. >:(

    I didn't watch the marathon, but I did get to hear our clients talk about it which was entertaining - two of them have run it before. They are litrilly Rob Lowe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They obviously didn't look like Rob Lowe or I would have heard about you being arrested for molestation.

      Are you back now? When are we going running?

      Delete
  3. I think arguing with the TV is the first sign that your sanity is crumbling. Once again, people with real jobs aren't able to watch TV all day on Monday. I want that pizza in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worse, I was yelling at the computer, because I had to stream it online. Clearly, I've lost it.

      Delete
  4. I just read random updates online and didn't watch it. Not ready to run in a Georgia summer - not even close!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I speak for everyone when I say we need your homemade crust recipe so we can make that pizza! I'm going to be living alone soon and I need delicious recipes I can actually make without anyone taking away my leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I've posted it like a million times! http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2010/02/09/back-to-basics-tips-and-techniques-to-create-a-great-loaf-in-5-minutes-a-day

      Delete
  6. I am not looking forward to running in hot weather. Not sure what the cure for that would be but it's probably not summer in the midwest.

    Well you know I was watching it but the worst part I thought was when one of the volunteer girls went to hand an elite woman water on the course and it nearly was a wipe out. Remember that? I couldn't understand why they don't have water tables in the middle of the road like Chicago for the elites?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! That was painful to watch! That poor girl!

      Delete
  7. i was bummed i tried to watch the marathon, but it kept stalling on the stream and then my work kept butting in

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to work so I didn't watch Boston but felt for all of the those who ran in the extreme heat. During the summer I get out there early and try to get my long runs done before the temps get too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being way in the back in the midst of the race, I had no idea the commentary was bad! Interesting.

    That pic of you sleeping beauties is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I was irked by the commentary! I'm a little scared to learn what running in SoCal summer will be like. I can only hope being sort of in the mountains will mean it will cool off at night more than it did in humid NJ summers. Great pic of you and Bungee. I 2-a-dayed last week and I will today (running store fun run at 9, track after 6). The only downside is having to shower twice in one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only watched the end online with my coworker, but in other random, this made me think of you :) http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-biggest-fears-people-who-are-bad-with-kids/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want some of the Mexican pizza. Oh yes, the announcers were driving me BONKERS. Good call on taking it to the cool basement with Buffy, we think a lot alike. Have an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't watch the marathon. I should probably Google a recap of the race since I don't even know who won.

    All winter I looked forward to the warmer spring weather, but after running outside about 10 days ago now I'm dreading the hot summer temps. Also I'm so lazy that I hate having to slather on sunscreen even though I know it's important.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to LOVE Buffy when i was way younger but I stopped watching when Angel and her broke things off (idk..season 4?)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.