Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I like a challenge

Yesterday was a momentous occasion. Bungee carried water in her hydration pack on a run! It was a good thing, too, because the humidity was insane and I picked new trails to run on. There are trails all over the place around here, but Mike and I have really only been to a couple. Yesterday, I found a trail head about ten miles from us and it looked fairly easy to run on, so Bungee and I set off at a pretty good clip.

source
However, about a quarter miles in, things took a turn. Suddenly there were huge climbs and teeny tiny trails to follow. Not to mention, most of the trails had large areas of flooding. None of this really phased Bungee, though, even though she was technically carrying a weighted vest.

Our overall pace was between 10-11 min miles for four miles. I was working HARD, too, so that tells you how challenging the trails were. I checked the website today to see what they said about the trails and here's the description of one of the trails we followed:

The Red Diamond trail runs East to West, it is a challenging trail in some places with steep climbs.

Maybe I should do a little more research next time Bungee and I try out new trails. The best part of the run, though, was when Bungee snuck up and scared the bejeezus out of two stoned kids. Apparently, those trails are where the kids go after school to get high. The little girly scream and the look on that guy's face was totally worth feeling like death as I chased Bungee up those giant hills.

Afterwards, I dropped Bungee off at home and headed out to finish my run on my own. I thought my legs would be exhausted and the run would be terrible, but I think my legs were just happy to stop mountain climbing. The road run felt great even with the rolling hills throughout. 

On a completely separate note: Is anyone running the Chicago Ragnar? Aspaeris is sponsoring two of the teams running the race, so I'm heading out to volunteer at Exchange 34! If you're running, or even just in the Chicago area, I'd love to meet up!

If you run trails, do you check the map or website before running or do you like a surprise?

What was your run yesterday?


15 comments:

  1. Yeah, I generally research trails before I run them because I'm not a fool.

    You're going all the way to Chicago to just watch people run? Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe weed makes it hard to have a manly scream. Let's try to not be too judgmental, mmmkay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm scared of running trails on my own and I don't have a dog so I basically stick to trails I know with people. Of course, some people are mean and choose super hard hilly trails, so there's that. When are you going to Chicago? That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was essentially crippled yesterday from the half on sunday so there was no run :) Planning on getting out today and your post is making me want to head to a trail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to meet up when you are in Chicago!! Let me know the dates and time and maybe I can volunteer as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Bungee! I love that she scared some naughty punks. ;)
    Yesterday was a sit on my ass day. Ok not really. Upper body strength and yoga. But today there will be 2 runs in prep for that ragnar you speak of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm too scared to be adventurous enough to try unknown trails on my own. But, if there is safety in numbers, we've ventured onto some unknown ones before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That will be a fun race to spectate!!!

    We have very challenging trails near us. I read recently on Runner's World if you are doing challenging trails to focus on the time not the miles. Meaning - if you plan to run 4 miles and normally do it in 36 minutes - only run the trails for 36 minutes even if you don't hit the 4 miles.

    I started listening to that advice when my trail running and saw a massive improvement in my trail and cement running :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to trail world, it makes you a humble runner really quickly. I was able to average in the high 10's my last race and I felt pretty darn special! HAHAHA! Overall though I think it makes you a stronger runner. For me, I'm getting bored with pavement. I hate to admit it. :( High school kids sure know how to hide when they want don't they!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always look up the map/elevation of trails before I set out - but I never run alone on trails either. Chicago sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. there is a sort-of trail/forest at the very northern tip of manhattan - like two blocks from my apartment - but there are all sorts of homeless guys that like to hang out up in there and so there are all sorts of reminders not to go there by yourself/in the dark because people get murdered. Kind of a bummer though because it has some really fun paths.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a trail weenie, so I always research the trails before I go. But, if you had, you might have missed the fun girly scream!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you have some great trails by you - I want to come up for a run!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh so cool you are volunteering at Ragnar! Come to Hood to Coast!!! :)

    yeah, Bungee!! Good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Running trails kind of scares me due to my severe lack of coordination. Remember, I'm the genius who fell down cement stairs and almost missed a half marathon. There's no way I can be trusted on a trail if I can't stay upright on pavement. Have fun in Chicago! Do you get any free time to see the city?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.