Friday, February 21, 2014

Five things Friday

Clearly, I'm getting lazy with my posts, but lists are just so easy!

1. On Wednesday, I had an important afternoon meeting and decided to run errands a few hours beforehand. When I got in my car, though, it wouldn't start. I didn't think it was the battery because the lights and the radio all came on, the engine just wouldn't turn over.

So, I did what any almost 30 year old would do and called my mommy. I asked if I could borrow her car for a little bit while she was at work (she works less than a mile from my house). However, as luck would have it, my dad had taken her car to the airport (because it was better on snowy icy roads) and she had my dad's car with manual transmission. Dangit.

In theory, I actually do know how to drive stick, it's the execution that really gets me.


I decided to try my car again and this time none of the lights came on. Suddenly, I had hope. Maybe it was just the battery! My mom drove over to give me a jump, but being the geniuses we are, we couldn't even figure out how to open the hood of my dad's car, despite reading the manual with its ever so helpful illustrations. After silently fuming for a few minutes, I called Mike and got him to come home on his lunch break so we could get the car started. This time, we had no problems and I made it to my meeting. Good thing I really wanted bagels a couple hours beforehand or I never would have made it.


2. I think my Childbirth class is geared towards people without the internet. Yesterday, we spent 2+ hours talking about how the body develops during pregnancy, etc...basically all of the stuff that the internet and my pregnancy app have told me for the past 6+ months. The teacher was a bit of a kook, so that at least made things somewhat interesting. I'm hoping as the class progresses it'll be a little more informative. If nothing else, it culminates in a tour of the hospital, so that will be helpful.


3. While I'm really looking forward to the spring-like thaw this weekend, I know someone that's not going to be happy.


Yesterday, Bungee spent 45 minutes vaulting over snow bangs and digging in snow piles on our walk. I kept having to lure her away from people's yards with treats so we could actually go for a walk.

On the plus side, running and jumping through two foot snow drifts really tuckers her out for the day.


4. Yesterday, I discovered the absolute easiest way to pick a pediatrician for your baby. Call the same pediatrician you had as a kid, when they ask when you want to meet the doctors tell them, "that's ok, I was a patient there until I was 22." They'll think you're crazy, but you're good to go.

This pediatrician also happens to be .25 miles from our house. Mike said that if we're both delirious after the baby is born and they hospital asks what pediatrician we are using we'll just yell "the one closest to the house!" I'm pretty sure that is exactly how it will go down.


5. Maybe I've been watching too many episodes of Bones on the treadmill or maybe it's my strange cannibalism dreams, but I've started a weird habit when I watch Bones. I've started thinking, "hey, I wonder what they'd say about my bones if I was found dead," or, "that is totally true about my bones." Something is clearly wrong with me.


Can you drive manual transmission? Who taught you? Mike really wants to teach me, but I'm afraid it might ruin our marriage...you know, with all of the yelling.

12 comments:

  1. I learned to drive stick like a champ in my teens. My then boyfriend taught me. I though automatic trannys were so 'boring'. It served me well when we lived in England because both our cars were stick plus there's the 'wrong' side of the road issue, plus I was always wearing riding boots and had a horse whip (not that I ever used it) tucked down there. Ok I'll cut to the chase: I haven't driven stick since we've been back stateside and I suspect it might be ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea how to drive stick. I'm sure it would be really fun to learn in the snow and ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how to drive stick. I'm not that good at it, but I can do it in a pinch. My sis bought a car with manual transmission without knowing how to drive it, so my husband had to teach her. He must be the most patient dude in the world because my sis can be pretty clueless. She once panicked that she was locked in our car when we locked the doors before she got out. :)

    So was it just the battery that ended up being the issue with your car?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought a car with stick shift last year. How did we do the test drive? Using my knowledge of stick shift from when a friend taught me the summer after we graduated from high school, 12 years before. True story. Dan learned quickly after we got it home. I've improved in shifting more smoothly but I still get nervous in traffic sometimes. We live at the top of a giant hill, with stop signs on the way up, so I had to get over my fear of starting on an incline. But at least we don't have icy hills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad taught me to drive stick and surprisingly our relationship is still intact, even more so since it was during an upstate NY winter. I also taught Eric, but I believe men are more naturally inclined. toward learning. But when my sister was learning she drove my car and rolled down a hill into another car. So the point is, just go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to learn how to drive using manual transmission vehicles and it was horrible. The memories of that experience still haunt me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I watch the Walking Dead, I often have completely serious conversations about how we would keep a garden and plant booby traps for the zombies, and how we would invade the nearest Costco during an apocalypse...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned at my old job. A truck was a stick. Then I had to drive my ex's ford escape that was a stick. I haven't driven one in a few years but it would be bad. No good reason for a 5 speed unless you are racing!!!

    And I didn't take any baby classes because I had the internet and I could read books. I did think the best when they come baby book was Baby411. Then Happiest Baby on the Block, the 5 S's will save you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you haven't already learn the 5 S's, worked like a charm on baby 1 for me, sadly nothing seemed to work for baby 2 except holding her all the time... all the time.

      Delete
  9. I learned to drive stick on the farm trucks and my first two cars were sticks. I kind of miss having a stick. although not when I have to drive in town a lot, it's so much shifting! I took baby classes not that I needed to because like you said by the time you take them you have already read all about it, but it is reassuring I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know there were options when I learned to drive. I didn't have an automatic car until I'd been driving for 20 years. I've lived a very cloistered life. I also thought breast feeding was the only feeding option for babies and the bottles were for breast milk. All I could think was "what a fucking pain in the ass it'll be to try and squeeze milk into a bottle! Forget it!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just traded in my stick shift last week. After 11 years it has been tough going back to an automatic.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.